3 1/2 Star Rolling Stone Review

In this section of the forum you can talk specifically about the Monkeys. Who are they? Where do they come from? And what the hell am I doing on this forum? Find out HERE

Moderator: Moderators

3 1/2 Star Rolling Stone Review

Postby cody_kilgannon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:41 am

The review:

The 2006 debut from these punky, huge-at-home English boys rocked and popped with straightforward brilliance while doubling as a primer on working-class Sheffield nightlife. A bit heavier and not as immediate, Favourite Worst Nightmare is a slightly lesser record, though by no means a Difficult Second Album. The basic stuff is the same as the debut's: momentum, alternately fluid and hard-riffing guitars, and Alex Turner's lithe singalong tunes. Bangers like "Brianstorm" and "505" sound at once ass-kicking and matter-of-fact, and among more tender cuts, the easy winner is the lovely "Fluorescent Adolescent," a snapshot of a wild girl tamed: "You used to get it in your fishnets/Now you only get it in your nightdress." Though unromantic takes on various club-going lads and lasses and their friends are back again, Turner's lyrics are shorter this time around on details that stick, and some cuts are less than memorable. But most of Nightmare sounds confident, unlabored and just plain good -- English cool without English bullshit. The Arctic Monkeys are the new Arctic Monkeys.

CHRISTIAN HOARD

(Posted: Apr 17, 2007)

Personally, I think it should have gotten atleast 4 stars.

I heard a rumour that it had 5 stars, so naturally, I was dissapointed.
Not one of you has got an ounce of style in ya.

www.myspace.com/cody_kilgannon
cody_kilgannon
Regularly injects Arctic Monkeys

Postby curbyourself » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:05 am

i hate rolling stone, they are the hugest sell-out magazine in the u.s., if i were you, trust a good music magazine like 'filter'
curbyourself
Lurker

Postby The french way » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:42 am

filter' s cool... but personnally, whatever the magazine is, i don' t believe them :milton:
The french way
Brucey Wayne

Postby arctic ana » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:20 pm

they got 4 stars in croatian magazine. :D
arctic ana
Da Frame 2R

Return to The Arctic Monkeys