Which Album Is Better?

In this section of the forum you can talk specifically about the Monkeys. Who are they? Where do they come from? And what the hell am I doing on this forum? Find out HERE

Moderator: Moderators

Vote! :P

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
19
39%
Favourite Worst Nightmare
16
33%
They are both the same.
14
29%
 
Total votes : 49

Postby joelle88 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:37 am

aDri wrote:
but let´s face it.....trying to make an even better record than the first one is a theme for Mission Impossible!


true.
User avatar
joelle88
Regularly injects Arctic Monkeys
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:32 am
Location: philippines

Postby If it was that simple » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:22 am

I can't really chose between them, cause both albums are the ingenious work of four godlike musicians we all love. But I think I still prefer WPSIATWIN.
"I look a lot fitter on my myspace picture than I do in real life.."
User avatar
If it was that simple
Baby I'm Yours
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Vienna, capital of Austria

too tough to call

Postby stinkipete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:58 pm

They're both uniquely brilliant.

I like the raw, youthful bounce of Whatever People Say.., but the contrasts found in FWN are stunning.

At the moment I'm listening to FWN more, but that's because it's new. Any moneys song that's new to me becomes my most played Very Happy

I also love the funky undertones of FWN, which weren't so blatant on WPS.


The demo's were good too . . . Choo Choo, Ravey, all that stuff was mint.


As for matt's drumming being more simple on FWN... do you play drums? They may use less range, and it's a bit more structured, but christ . . . it might be just me but when the snare comes in on do me a favour. It's okay once you get it but playing that at first.... It's quite technically difficult.

That and the fact that you really need a few more arms to play brianstorm.
User avatar
stinkipete
Brianstorm
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Ponte, West Yorks.

Postby PolarPrimate » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:24 pm

I know it's saying a lot by picking FWN over Whatever but as much as I loved the debut I don't think it even comes close to FWN. Largely due to James Ford's production, you can hear so many different effects that add to the music that make it a deeper, and yes at times darker, record. If you havent listened to this album with headphones on you probably don't know what I mean. I love that this record isn't as immediate, the first listen for me was just a sigh of relief that they made a good album again, and then I could really start to get into it. Alex's voice has so much more range and emotion in it this time, probably because he's not going back to the same dirty nightclubs that he did on Whatever. The rhythm section is unbelievable it's easy to see that Nick brings much more to FWN that Andy did to Whatever, and Matt is the main reason why their awesome rhythm changes on songs like, Balaclava and If You Were There, Beware, work. Also Jamie gets my vote for most improved as he really shines on creating the backbone of the music. Overall FWN has a sound that explores a wider scale and a band that sounds more confident then ever, I'll take that to the bank.
User avatar
PolarPrimate
Lurker
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Postby Rhododendron » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:39 pm

It's Rhodo's opinion time!

I know both albums are great, but both have slight problems with me. But they also have songs that I listen to every single day.

Whatever People Say I Am was a great album, every song on it was great, and A Certain Romance was nothing short of the perfect closer and album standout. And I liked how the tracklisting worked too. Every song works after each other, not before, no song could be moved somewhere else, the tracklisting was perfect. It couldn't work any other way.

As for Favourite Worst Nightmare... I was afraid when I first heard it was going to have 12 tracks. Why? Because to me 12 songs is a bit short. Knowing it was the Arctic Monkeys we were talking about, 12 songs kind of spelled "SHORT ALBUM" to me. But I soon thought of all the albums I own with 12 or else songs. They usually have, say, 10 tracks because those 10 tracks lead up to 40-50 minutes, which is the normal length of albums. So I began thinking that it probably has 12 songs for the above reason. But when this sites 7digital store had previews of the songs, it said the length of the album was 37 minutes. To me any album that is less then 40 minutes long is a really short album. And I don't like short albums because most of the time I'm excited as heck for it and when I put the CD in to listen to it, it's over before I even know it. And since it usually costs me about 16 euro because it's new I feel a bit cheated. But I tried to reamin optomistic because AM are my favourite band and I was sure it wouldn't be a dissappointment.

But I've learned that expectations aren't always great. Like AM said themselves, "Expectation has the habit to set you up". But I didn't heed that advice until about early this year. Because at the time there was another album (Not FWN) I was looking forward to. I've been hearing good things about it and was hyped up like crazy. But when I got the album, it was bad. Looking forward to it all that time only leaded to a big disappointment. Which made me start to think about FWN.

Since that experience with the bad hyped up album I was beggining to wonder if FWN will actually be good. I mean, it was by a band that had so much success in a short amount of time, and it was a second album, and second albums aren't always great, because bands want to "mature" their sound when actually they're just making music they weren't supposed to make (Sam's Town is a perfect example of that). Of course there are great second albums, but the amount of bad second albums outnumbers them, so I was getting really worried whether FWN will be good.

But when Friday 20th April, the day it was out here, came along, and I bought it... And listened to it... And the way it began (Brianstorm and Teddy Picker) made me feel better. The songs are great, and the drums and guitars are brilliant as usual. What I like about this album is that rather then try to make themselves sound mature or make the same music as the last album but make it bland and sound the EXACT same, they just did what they did best, make great music.

Unfortunately, it's not a perfect album. "D Is For Dangerous" and "The Bad Thing" are nothing special. But "505", "Teddy Picker", "Brianstorm", "Flurescent Adolescent", and "Old Yellow Bricks" are some of the best stuff AM have ever written.... ever. I also liked the fact they did "Only Ones Who Know". They decided to make things a bit slower, which is something I like in albums. Having at least one song that is a bit slower then the others is something important to me. Because if all the songs are fast paced, rocking and over with quickly, it gets a bit boring, don'tcha think?

But like I said, it's not perfect, the longest song is only 4 and a half minutes long. Whilst the longest song from WPSIATWIN is 5 and a half minutes long. If the longest song from an album is only about 4 minutes or less long, then it kind of shows the album is short, which as I explained earlier, I don't like. 505 makes a good closer, but it's not pefect.

I don't know about Da Frame 2R, but they DEFINITELY should have put Matador on ALL versions on the album. Matador to me would have made THE perfect closer for the album. It's not too slow, and it has clever lyrics and music that would have just been perfect for closing the album. Those lucky japenese.

Which leads me to the tracklisting. I don't know what the B-Sides to the rest of the singles from the album will be, but some of the B-Sides to Brianstorm should have been on the album

Like If You Found This It's Probably Too Late. It would have made the perfect opener, what with it's short enough to make an intro, and the violins at the beggining would have been great for the start. What If You Were Right The First Time should have been on the album too. (See the bottom of this post for what I think the tracklisting should have been like)

So, all-in-all, to me it's a tie. Both albums are some of the greatest things I've listened to in my entire life. But WPSIATWIN has it's flaws and so does FWN. Neither are perfect albums, but they're both 100/100 in my books. Despite the fact that FWN has problems with it's songs and it's length.

In My View What FWN's Tracklisting Should Have Been Like
(Not VERY thought through but I think you'll get the point)
1. If You Found This It's Probably Too Late
2. Brianstorm
3. Teddy Picker
4. D Is For Dangerous
5. Balaclava
6. Fluorescent Adolescent
7. Only Ones Who Know
8. Do Me A Favour
9. This House Is A Circus
10. If You Were There, Beware
11. The Bad Thing
12. Old Yellow Bricks
13. What If You Were Right The First Time?
14. 505
15. Matador
Some songs might work better switched around and stuff but I think it works out quite well.

P.S. If you read all of this, you rock.[/b]
Go ahead and play the blues if it makes you happy.
User avatar
Rhododendron
I'm going back to 505
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Lizzi » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:45 pm

I can't change my vote, but right now, after a couple of listen to the second alb, I'd say both are as good as another. Both have a different sound, and that shows that they have evolve - which is always a good thing I think.

So far, what I love of the new alb is the drumming - esp on Brainstorm -, Al's voice and 505 - which imo is the best tune of the alb.

That's it, short and sweet! [smilie=row__469.gif]
Image
User avatar
Lizzi
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:02 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Postby Stoki » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:39 pm

I agree completly about the drumming, it's the best. I love Matt, he's done a great job. I have no idea about drumming, I don't know if its simple or not, but even I can hear that is amazing.
But I disagree with you Rhodo about the lenght of the album. I think that when album is too long it might sometimes get boring a bit. However you're right with Matador, I don't understand why they put it only on japanese version.
Best tracks are 505 and Do me a favour.

For me FWN is the best album they could do, I'm not disappointed at all. This is what I expected from them as a fan.
We are so young we don't understand if we cannot fly...
User avatar
Stoki
I don't wear a Balaclava
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Poland

Postby Arr- » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:52 pm

I think both are great ! :D
Maybe FWN was a bit too short, but still ah-so-good.

By the way,
does anyone know where could i get the 2 songs that were in the japanese version (Matador & Da Frame 2R) ? I desperately need to hear them!
♫♪♫♫♪
User avatar
Arr-
Regularly injects Arctic Monkeys
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Finland

Postby Rhododendron » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Stoki wrote:But I disagree with you Rhodo about the lenght of the album. I think that when album is too long it might sometimes get boring a bit. However you're right with Matador, I don't understand why they put it only on japanese version.

Well, I like albums at least around 45 minutes long because if it was less then say, 40, then it would feel like it was over too quickly and I would feel a bit cheated for whatever I paid for it. Besides, if it was WAY long and it was starting to get a bit boring I would stop listening and get back later where I left off.

And Matador -- TEH PWNAGE.

Arr- , I can send you those songs if you want. :D
Go ahead and play the blues if it makes you happy.
User avatar
Rhododendron
I'm going back to 505
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Stoki » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:21 pm

Rhododendron wrote:
Stoki wrote:But I disagree with you Rhodo about the lenght of the album. I think that when album is too long it might sometimes get boring a bit. However you're right with Matador, I don't understand why they put it only on japanese version.

Well, I like albums at least around 45 minutes long because if it was less then say, 40, then it would feel like it was over too quickly and I would feel a bit cheated for whatever I paid for it. Besides, if it was WAY long and it was starting to get a bit boring I would stop listening and get back later where I left off.

And Matador -- TEH PWNAGE.


I understand you, it's just that FWN has a perfect lenght for me and usually I get anoyed when albums are too long. It's hard to imagine how I could get bored by Monkeys, but I think that artists should be a little selective.
We are so young we don't understand if we cannot fly...
User avatar
Stoki
I don't wear a Balaclava
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Poland

Postby milburnxmonkey » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Whatever People Say I Am... because when I first listened to it, I loved the tracks as soon as they'd stopped playing. With FWN it took me a few more listens to really get into it.
User avatar
milburnxmonkey
Regularly injects Arctic Monkeys
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby [Q]uirky? » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 pm

I would be eternally greatful if some one could send me matador, Da Frame 2R and if you've found this its probably to late. please please please please!!!

While i'm here i might as well give you my opinion...

I really like both albums but for different reasons, firstly Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is imense 'cos they are so real. The lyrics are like stories which makes 'em cool. I think The View From The Afternoon is a class track to open the album with and is a tibute to all things that represent the Arctic Monkeys, also I love Dancing Shoes 'cos of its powerful opening and how the lryics echo the feeling at a school disco, or at a night club.

Favourite Worst Nightmare is a different sort of cool, the rythm and tempo constantly change from song to song and during songs, actually it hits you like a train. Its a new angle for them I think. I wasn't expecting it. I <3 Teddy Picker, it rocks live, needs to be played loud. And also Fluorescent Adolescent I love it the lryics are so truthful. Balaclava is class the tune and everything is amazing I heart everything about it so much. 505 is so kool it really is a execent choice to end the album, however I have not heard Matador thereforse this opinion may change.

Overal the songs all rock on both albums and all the tunes will be ringing in my ears till kingdom come.

:D :D :D
User avatar
[Q]uirky?
I don't wear a Balaclava
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Postby Stoki » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:30 pm

^^^ check your PM!
We are so young we don't understand if we cannot fly...
User avatar
Stoki
I don't wear a Balaclava
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Poland

Postby arctic » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:10 pm

[Q]uirky? wrote:I would be eternally greatful if some one could send me matador, Da Frame 2R and if you've found this its probably to late. please please please please!!!


I hope no one sent her If You Found This It's Probably Too Late because you can buy it! It's only 77p!
http://www.7digital.com/stores/productD ... artner=321
User avatar
arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley

Postby Stoki » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:24 pm

I've sent only Matador and Da Frame 2R.
We are so young we don't understand if we cannot fly...
User avatar
Stoki
I don't wear a Balaclava
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Poland

PreviousNext

Return to The Arctic Monkeys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron