Arctics all set to make pop history

Latest News on the Arctic Monkeys
(Viewable on arctic-monkeys.com)

Arctics all set to make pop history

Postby arctic » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:08 am

<b>ARCTIC Monkeys fans braved arctic temperatures to be first in the queue to buy the debut album by their heroes at midnight.</b>

Dozens dashed to HMV on High Street and Virgin Megastore in Orchard Square in the city centre after a sold-out show at The Leadmill.
Tickets for the gig - which had a face value of £8 - allegedly changed hands for £400.

Many pop pundits are predicting that the album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, will become the fastest UK debut LP ever.
Jon Downing, aged 49, from Bents Green, Sheffield, was among the first to pick up his copy with his 17-year-old son Greg.

"We've just been to see the band at The Leadmill, that's 10 times I've seen them," said Jon, clutching his vinyl.

"It was a great night for Sheffield bands."
The young north Sheffield quartet put in one of their most invigorated performances at a venue they have outgrown - just hours after they heard they had landed a second consecutive number one single.

Cementing their reputation as the brightest new stars of British rock the foursome knocked X Factor winner Shayne Ward off the top spot to claim the singles chart prize with When The Sun Goes Down.

The Arctic Monkeys first hit the headlines when they saw off Robbie Williams and the Sugababes late last year with their debut single I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor.

At The Leadmill the no-nonsense band played a set which is fast becoming a greatest hits collection with every other face in the audience shouting the lyrics back at singer-songwriter Alex Turner.

The Arctic Monkeys have experienced the sort of meteoric rise not seen since Oasis burst out of Manchester.

They've played sold-out shows on three continents after a fan-driven Internet frenzy made them a household name before a single record was released - a phenomenon which prompted even The Financial Times to write about them.

But Alex still has his feet on the ground.
"For where we're at it is too much, compared to what stage we're at as a band," says the 19-year-old frontman.

"We're just starting really. The attention sets the record up to be a disappointment. As good as we know it is, it's like it'll be built up to such a thing that if it doesn't cure cancer or solve inner city poverty or something it'll be a disaster.

"But people get carried away, don't they? Fair enough."
Drummer Matt Helders, also 19, said: "It's flattering for people to say we're the next big thing. It's nice to hear. But you don't want it to go so far that it's not about the music, that it's about people being told to like it."

POP History??

Taken from <a href=http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/>The Star</a> Online
arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Latest Arctic Monkeys News