Arctic Monkeys In Total Guitar Magazine

In this section of the forum you can talk specifically about the Monkeys. Who are they? Where do they come from? And what the hell am I doing on this forum? Find out HERE

Moderator: Moderators

Arctic Monkeys In Total Guitar Magazine

Postby irishscummyman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:43 pm

5 Reasons Why You Should Love Arctic Monkeys

TG Meets the Sheffield Band’s Singer/Guitarist Alex Turner to discover why the nation’s going mad for the Monkeys

Words: Phil Ascott and Matt Diehl

Nine months ago they didn’t have a record deal. Now they have topped the charts, sold out 2000 seater venues and are officially the hottest guitar act on the planet. Their rise to prominence is hard to believe. But behind all the hype and mass media over-exposure lies a great modern guitar act whose love of rap and funk music has infused their anthems with a rare groove. Here are five reasons why you should take them in your hearts:

1. They’re just a bunch of mates who formed a band….
Alex and drummer Matt Helder have known each other since they were seven or eight years old, and all the band members grew up in the same Sheffield neighbourhood. They formed Arctic Monkeys while in their mid-teens, long before they could play their instruments properly.
Alex: “When we first got together in the garage, Matt had only got his drum kit. It’s not that we just got drunk…we just didn’t really know what we were doing. We were just playing together because we’d have fun once a week; it was the thing to do. It wasn’t like we were coming to change the world or anything like that. We were all listening to different things.
“We were all quite into a bit of hip-hop; like Roots Manuva. Jamie was listening to QOTSA and that sort of stuff. I like basic guitar music, and we all liked Oasis. I knew their songs and it used to be something we could play together on acoustics while learning. It was the common ground where our tastes met.â€
irishscummyman

Postby Josie » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm

thanks matey

thats cool <33
<i>If Carlsberg made bands,Arctic Monkeys would still be better </i>
<b>Time Square Can't shine as bright as you <3 </b>
Josie
Brucey Wayne

Re: Arctic Monkeys In Total Guitar Magazine

Postby surrey_casual » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:45 pm

irishscummyman wrote:Bromheads Jacket
Like the Monkeys, Bromheads Jacket released a limited edition single last year that’s already selling at rather inflated prices on eBay. Their brilliant second single What If’s And Maybes is pitched somewhere between The Jam ant the Streets, and suggests they might have what it takes to do the business.

:wink:

yr last chance to see them b4 they go the same way as the monkeys!
2005-3 2006-4 2007-3 2008-?

www.myspace.com/honeyfitsmusic

"waar de partij is"
surrey_casual
He smiled in the fucking bakery!

Return to The Arctic Monkeys