Meaning of the songs?

In this section of the forum you can talk specifically about the Monkeys. Who are they? Where do they come from? And what the hell am I doing on this forum? Find out HERE

Moderator: Moderators

Meaning of the songs?

Postby Exclamation Marc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:41 am

I don't get too much of the slang, sadly :oops: , and my young mind is failing to comprehend the meaning of some of the songs (granted I haven't actually closely read through the lyrics of every song yet), but anyone care to give a run down of all of the tunes?

Cheers :wink:
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Postby *CLO* » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:46 am

which phrasing dont you get?
If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead......
*CLO*
Baby I'm Yours

Postby Exclamation Marc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:50 am

It's not exactly specific phrasings, but the fact that it's used makes the songs rather British (which i absolutely adore)

But anyway I thought I'd might as well also find out everyone's interpretation of the song, which is actually also rather important, heh
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Postby bat and ball » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:52 am

hehe you use posh words.

sorry im yorkshire
"NO SURRENDER NO CHANCE OF RETREAT"
bat and ball
Put your dukes up!

Postby Lmu Wanderer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Lets see:

"Probably Oreight" means "Possibly acceptable"

From the Ritz "Nowt" means "Nothing" and "Give you a duff" means "Receive a physical beating in the form of fists"

"A bit Frank Spencer" Not got a clue what that is, probably Cockney rhyming slang but I've not worked it out yet.

"Tonight there'll be a ruckus yeah" means "This evening, trouble could commence in the form of fighting, understand?"

Can't be arsed doing anymore.
Lmu Wanderer
Baby I'm Yours

Postby *CLO* » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:09 pm

0reight = alright

"a bit frank spencer" + from tv show some mothers do av em (that is right show innit?)
If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead......
*CLO*
Baby I'm Yours

Postby irishscummyman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:28 pm

*CLO* wrote:"a bit frank spencer" + from tv show some mothers do av em (that is right show innit?)

It is indeed.
irishscummyman

Postby *CLO* » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:32 pm

Frank Spencer is so funny!
*CLO*
Baby I'm Yours

Postby JIMGRIFF » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:37 pm

*CLO* wrote:Frank Spencer is so funny!

A bit frank spencer basically means for everything to go a bit pear shaped (basically everything to fuck up) because old frank was notorious for fucking things up on Some Mothers Do Ave Em... and then after going " ooh betty"
JIMGRIFF
Head Mod
Head Mod

Postby Exclamation Marc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:23 pm

I was also kinda hoping someone gives an insight as to what each song means, heh; like When The Sun Goes Down is a song empathising with the street prostitutes and the scums who take advantage of them?
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Postby JIMGRIFF » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Exclamation Marc wrote:I was also kinda hoping someone gives an insight as to what each song means, heh; like When The Sun Goes Down is a song empathising with the street prostitutes and the scums who take advantage of them?

Yeh,

Erm Red lights indicate doors are secure... that is normally a notice in a black cab meaning that if the red lights are on, the door is locked and you aren't gonna leg it until you pay the fare.
JIMGRIFF
Head Mod
Head Mod

Postby Exclamation Marc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:44 pm

JIMGRIFF wrote:
Exclamation Marc wrote:I was also kinda hoping someone gives an insight as to what each song means, heh; like When The Sun Goes Down is a song empathising with the street prostitutes and the scums who take advantage of them?

Yeh,

Erm Red lights indicate doors are secure... that is normally a notice in a black cab meaning that if the red lights are on, the door is locked and you aren't gonna leg it until you pay the fare.

Always thought that Red Lights referred to the zone where there were brothels/prostitutes. Over here we refer to places where women offer such services as the Red Light Zone :oops:
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Postby JIMGRIFF » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:49 pm

Exclamation Marc wrote: Always thought that Red Lights referred to the zone where there were brothels/prostitutes. Over here we refer to places where women offer such services as the Red Light Zone :oops:

I know what you mean, but not in that song!

Similar to the American Red Light District!
JIMGRIFF
Head Mod
Head Mod

Postby bat and ball » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:51 pm

I aint puttin you down or owt mate, but if you dont understand the songs why do you like em. cuz if i dont understand songs lyricly i usually dont bother wid em. i.e slipnot. then again thats jus my opinion.
"NO SURRENDER NO CHANCE OF RETREAT"
bat and ball
Put your dukes up!

Postby Exclamation Marc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:57 pm

I understand bits of the song, and what some sentences mean individually, and i actually often use them at various times. Their tunes are ultimately catchy too and the music is simply gorgeous. Most of the time I fancy bands before I really thoroughly understand the lyricfs in depth, but only really 'fall-in-love' (or so to speak) with them when I really get what they're trying to drive across with their songs.

I could have my own interpretation of the songs, and you could have another one; was just trying to see what everyone thought :oops:
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Next

Return to The Arctic Monkeys