Arctic Monkeys - Oxegen 2006

In this section of the forum you can talk specifically about the Monkeys. Who are they? Where do they come from? And what the hell am I doing on this forum? Find out HERE

Moderator: Moderators

Arctic Monkeys - Oxegen 2006

Postby arctic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:15 pm

(READ THIS AND TELL ME HOW MANY MISTAKES YOU SPOT, I GOT LOADS)
I didn't know Alex and Jamie were brothers either :lol:

Arctic Monkeys, English indie sensations, plays Oxegen 2006 on Saturday, the 8th of July.

The big breakthrough band of 2005, Arctic Monkeys are becoming more popular that Oasis at a rate of knots with their debut album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not selling over 306,000 copies in the first week of its release.

Our story begins in Sheffield, when Alex and James Cook were given guitars as Christmas presents a few years ago. The pair began practising furiously and began to expand their sound with the help of Andy Nicholson on bass and Matt Hedlers on drums.

Bonding over everything from Oasis and The Smiths to Roots Manuva and legendary Mancunian punk poet, John Cooper Clarke, Arctic Monkeys concocted a number of infectious songs that documented suburban life in provincial England. The razor-sharp lyricism that fuels songs like "Sun Goes Down" and "A Certain Romance" catches all the boredom and brutality of small town life.

When Arctic Monkeys took their music to live venues, they gave away their demos for free in true DIY punk style. The result was that after only a few performances, Arctic Monkeys were filling venues with excited, bopping fans singing along with the band. Word got around and soon people were coming from all over England to catch the boys play in Wakefield.

After the success of their 5-track EP, Five Minutes with Artic Monkeys record companies caught on to the buzz around the band and Domino Records signed the band over the summer. And the boys' first release for Domino Records, "Fake Tales of San Francisco" sees the Artic Monkeys take a pot shot at band from Rotherham trying to sound like their from New York City.

Then Arctic Monkeys topped the UK Singles Charts with "I'd Bet You'd Look Good On The Dance Floor" and turned the music world upside down with the release of their debut album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not .

A set of infectious indie rock, Artic Monkeys plays Oxegen 2006 on Saturday, the 8th of July.

arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:28 pm

Haha they are brothers.
Didnt you know?
Theyre hiding it though with different surnames
And completely different faces.
Definately brothers though/
<i>If Carlsberg made bands,Arctic Monkeys would still be better </i>
<b>Time Square Can't shine as bright as you <3 </b>
Josie
Brucey Wayne

Postby arctic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Changed the bands name to Artic Monkeys aswell :lol:
arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:28 pm

Oh yeah!
How observant of you.
<i>If Carlsberg made bands,Arctic Monkeys would still be better </i>
<b>Time Square Can't shine as bright as you <3 </b>
Josie
Brucey Wayne

Postby arctic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:32 pm

Silly Writer wrote:After the success of their 5-track EP, Five Minutes with Artic Monkeys

Also, it was a 2 track EP.....not 5...

also, i got that story from the shameless dublinks.com
arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The Arctic Monkeys