Kick Me Out, Kick Me Out! (with love from afar)

In this section of the forum you can talk specifically about the Monkeys. Who are they? Where do they come from? And what the hell am I doing on this forum? Find out HERE

Moderator: Moderators

Kick Me Out, Kick Me Out! (with love from afar)

Postby Exclamation Marc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:01 pm

'Do you sell the Arctic Monkeys' album?'
'All fucking sold out, sir. Yes they're very good, very popular'

There are usually three reasons why albums sell. Good marketing, glorious hype, or just simply great music. Of course everyone would like to think they belong to the third category, but here in Singapore, it really has to be the second that first grabbed the attention. It worked for me, the hoo-ha over the Arctic Monkeys, I kept on hearing so much about them it was hard to resist. But it was the music that really sustained me. From I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor to Cigarette Smoke and even their not-for-the-homophobic cover of Love Machine, they were fantastic and terribly lovable, banging sounds rippling massaging waves through my ears and out of my mouth (LIKE A ROBOT FROM 1984...FROM 1984...!).

It seems like they really predicted it all with Fake Tales of San Francisco. They were the perfect band to sing it. They aren't the 'super cool band yeah' with 'weekend rockstars in the toilets practicing their lines'. They don't sell albums like the Backstreet Boys do. They could have just not signed that big-time deal with Domino, stay under the shadows playing class tunes at their own gigs in England, and half the world wouldn't have given a shit about them. But they were prepared to soak in the public puffing-up and criticism because they're neither from Hunter's Bar nor Rotherham. They aren't having a quickie in the public eye with shallow songs ('Yeah but his bird said it's amazing, though/So all that's left/Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf'), and they've got every right to shout - Get off the bandwagon and put down the handbook

I'm sorry I fell in love with the Arctic Monkeys. I don't care if they're made out to be better than they really are. It doesn't mean they aren't marvellous at all, or worthy, for that matter. I wish that I could be the genuine fan I can never be.

(if you don't know what to make out of it, don't worry. Neither do I. I've got no idea why I wrote what I did.)
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Postby arctic » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Hmmm, I read that and think, wow a dedicated arctic monkey fan, then I read the last line which says a fan you wish you could be....? huh?

lol :lol:
arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:55 pm

Aww
It's all cool
<3
<i>If Carlsberg made bands,Arctic Monkeys would still be better </i>
<b>Time Square Can't shine as bright as you <3 </b>
Josie
Brucey Wayne

Postby arctic » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:01 pm

dude, edit that line out and make some changes (make it look like a review of the band) and i can add that to the fanzine too :D
arctic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:05 pm

To be fair...
It is really well written.
x
<i>If Carlsberg made bands,Arctic Monkeys would still be better </i>
<b>Time Square Can't shine as bright as you <3 </b>
Josie
Brucey Wayne

Postby Exclamation Marc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:17 pm

You could always edit it yourself and leave out the last lines if you want to add it to the fanzine :P

I said that because I could be considered the 'second wave of fans'. It's kinda on the issue of that time when Dan Radcliffe claimed he was 'the first AM fan'. The real reason why I first got to know the band was because everyone was raving about how good they were, so it was the sounds made by the people and not by Arctic Monkeys that first caught me.

Usually I view real fans as people who actually heard and liked the Arctic Monkeys purely because of the music. For me it's hard to deny that it was the hype + the music.

:\

And I'm not even from England.
People'd normally call people like me 'glory hunters' or 'bandwagoners'
Exclamation Marc
Brianstorm

Return to The Arctic Monkeys